To keep your jewellery’s brilliance, learn what to avoid and how to care for your precious metals, folia and natural gemstones with the care instructions below:
Caring For and Wearing Your Jewellery
- To help protect the durability and high-quality of your jewellery, remove your jewellery when you shower, bathe or engage in heavy exercise, particularly when swimming in the sea or a chlorinated swimming pool.
- All of our gemstones are natural and therefore can be vulnerable to absorbing dirt and to chipping. Settings may also become loose over-time.
- Avoid spraying perfume, applying creams or any other liquids directly onto your jewellery.
- Avoid applying make-up whist wearing your jewellery as dust particles from make-up products can dull down the gemstones and folia jewellery.
- Keep your jewellery away from extreme temperatures, humidity or sunlight.
- Avoid wearing your jewellery when using bleach, cleaning products and other chemicals.
How to Store Your Jewellery
- We highly recommend that you store your jewellery in the original Ikigai Apparel packaging provided or another suitably lined box or soft pouch and place a small packet of desiccant crystals in the packaging if you live in a humid climate.
- Ideally store your pieces of jewellery separately, so that they don't rub together or become tangled.
Cleaning Precious Metals
- To keep your jewellery looking radiant and to remove the build-up of dirt and premature tarnish we recommend using soft polishing cloth. Rub the piece in one direction rather than circular motions.
- Do not use tissue paper or paper towels to clean metal as they can cause scratching.
- Since many natural gemstones can be quite delicate, hot water, harsh chemicals and cleaners should be avoided at all times.
- Clean your gemstones with a clean, soft, damp cloth after wearing. You will not need to clean your Druzy gemstones as these are extremely delicate.
- Very porous stones such as Pearl, Opal, Emerald, Turqoiuse, Coral and Onyx should be cleaned using an untreated, dry, soft cloth only.
- Do not use tissue paper or paper towels to clean gemstones as they can cause scratching.
Cleaning Folia leaves
- You will rarely need to clean or polish your Folia jewellery. If you wish to clean your Folia jewellery do so with a clean, soft cloth
- Do not use tissue paper or paper towels to clean Folia as they can cause scratching.
How to Prevent Tarnishing
- Silver tarnishes rapidly when exposed to certain substances in our everyday lives so we recommend caring for, wearing and storing your jewellery as mentioned above.
- "Gold Vermeil" means that our jewellery is made from a sterling silver base metal and is then coated with really thick 18K / 22k gold plate / rose gold plate.
- Nickel is a trace metal which can be found in any precious metals such as silver or gold, it is also classified as an allergen.
- We do not add Nickel to Raw Gemstone Jewellery; however, trace amounts can be found in some of the metals used in our pieces. A very small number of people who are hypersensitive may suffer a reaction. Please inform our team via our Contact Us page quoting you receipt number if this affects you.